What you should consider before joining......
- Sigma Pi is a social fraternity. However, we never fail to remember the foremost reason for being at Rutgers. Our fraternity, along with OFSA (Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs), requires that Greek Life participants maintain a standard grade point average:
- To join- 2.5 GPA minimum is required in order to be considered.
- Once in- 2.5 GPA is required each semester. Failure to maintain will result in levels of probation determined by our executive board.
- A potential new member (PNM) must also be registered with OFSA before joining.
- PNM's must have at least 12 credits to receive a bid.
- Our organization is quite affordable and fees go to our social, service, philanthropy and other events that will positively impact a brothers life and help give to our community. Many students work to supplement funding for their dues. Depending on a member's involvement we do offer scholarships and grants.
- Pledge Fee: $150
- Initiation Fee: Onetime payment of $350 for membership that lasts a life time.
- Local Dues: Our chapter fees are determined and voted on by all members. As our fall 2015 local dues were 500 per semester, this includes formal and or date night attendance, social events, rush shirts, among other things.
- You are not responsible for paying local dues during the semester you are pledging.
- Hazing highly illegal in the state of New Jersy, prohibited by Rutgers University and IS NOT TOLERATED BY OUR CHAPTER. Sigma Pi International does not allow any form of hazing. The Fraternity investigates all allegations.
- A copy of Rutgers University hazing policy can be found here.
- The brothers of Sigma Pi incessantly acknowledge the seriousness and consequences that are coupled with the use of alcohol. Mindful of its ubiquity throughout the collegian juncture, we believe the best ways to combat the risks of alcohol lie in practicing preemptive action that can mitigate the chances of detriment. More information on how Sigma Pi takes action to prevent can be found in here our Risk Management Plan.
- Upon your choice to become a Sigma Pi, you will be looked to carry yourself a little differently. As brothers, we believe in a few core ideals to be seen in each one us, and to ensure that its vibrancy remains at all times.
- Be the Brother You Wish to See
- As the golden rule has demonstrated for years, be a person who you would want to be stuck on an island with. We have not and will not tolerate any individual who believes he is above any other, inside the fraternity or not.
- Be Prompt
- See your financial and scholarly obligations through, hastily.
- Scholarship is a Virtue
- Achieve academically. Excuses are not substantive, and will never be
- Act a Gentleman, Always
- In an ideal world, we would only extend bids to men whom we would want to marry our daughters and sisters. In actuality, that simply isn't plausible. However, we make it a point to attract and retain such gentlemen and anything less is unacceptable.
- Be Active, or Be Done
- We need brothers who will strive to make the fraternity better than it was when he joined.